Thursday, July 5, 2012

the little exploder that could

driving down I-15 at 10 pm on the fourth of july is a great way to experience fireworks. we could see dozens of little shows going on from ogden to park city.

we made a quick trip to logan for the fourth. we had to pick up coco who had been enjoying the last week chasing chickens and ducks at my in-laws. along the way, we stopped to say hello to my grandpa and checked on our vacant house. the grass is dying. the annuals (or is it perennials?) i planted years ago are dying and overgrown with weeds, and the back yard? our neighbors sprayed the weeds for fear they would overtake their garden, which was probably a good idea. we've had the house under contract twice with no luck of selling it yet. this week we have shown it to two people who really liked it and received one way too low offer. we are crossing our fingers that we can sell it this year. pretty please let one of them buy it!

we also got to pick up my car which has been in the shop for the last month. the transmission went out a few weeks ago. who would have thought that the 95 explorer--broken doors, no speakers, rattling at 50 mph and now no a/c--would outlast my newer and supposedly "nicer" car? we have lovingly named it the little exploder that could.

it's been kind of fun living with just one car as we wait for the insurance company to find a transmission to fix mine. my favorite part is that mike and i have been driving to and from work together. i drop him off and every day he has some new comment to make fun of our situation. "just drop me off at the corner. i don't want my friends seeing you drop me off" and "can you take me early today? i really want to play with my friends before work." i'm glad that he laughs at us. i love that rather than complaining or stressing out about it, he chooses to laugh and joke and make light of the fact that i'm his chauffeur for a while. i don't mind being his chauffer, and luckily he doesn't mind too much, either.

##
spiritual enlightenment for the day: "and he said unto me, my grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. most gladly therefore will i rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of christ may rest upon me." [2 cor. 12:9]
in this great talk by brad wilcox, he states: "Jesus doesn’t make up the difference. Jesus makes all the difference. Grace is not about filling gaps. It is about filling us.
Grace is not a booster engine that kicks in once our fuel supply is exhausted. Rather, it is our constant energy source. It is not the light at the end of the tunnel but the light that moves us through the tunnel. Grace is not achieved somewhere down the road. It is received right here and right now. It is not a finishing touch; it is the Finisher's touch."

1 comment:

jess bahr said...

Good luck with your house! And I love your jokes about being a one car family - I should be more like that. Instead I am usually complaining :/ You guys are cute. and funny.