Tuesday, January 31, 2012

hang on to hope

i wasn't going to post this, but after reading a friend's blog this morning, i felt like i should. if i can't laugh and be a bit sarcastic about our situation, i don't know how i will get through it.

i loved whitney's funny post: infertility: the board game. as she says, infertility is as much fun as a barrel of monkeys! i would just add a few spaces:

*you are asked for the 1000th time "when is it your turn." skip your turn and wait patiently until everyone else has their turn two or three times, then spin again.
*go to hospital for hystosalpinogram. lose $2000 but there's nothing wrong with you!
*doctor forgets to read your medical chart. go back to the start and lose all your money.
*switch doctors for the third time. go back to the start and lose all your money.
*receive a perfectly-timed text or email from someone who simply says "you are great" or "thinking about you." move forward 3 spaces.
*babysit other people's kids (or teach the 3-year-olds at church) and wonder why you want kids in the first place. move forward one and back two.

i keep getting told that i don't know how hard it is to have a baby. i've honestly lost count of the things my family members have said to me this week that begin or end with "well you just won't understand until you've had a baby....you just don't know how hard it is." and they are right. i don't know how hard it is. but i have tried my very best to be loving and supportive and concerned for those who are experiencing the trials of motherhood. really all i can offer to those experiencing the "hard" times as a mother is my empathy. maybe you don't know what it's like to experience infertility (or a myriad of other difficult situations), but you can be empathetic.

i guess this is all to say that the empathy that has been extended to me and the empathy i've felt for others gives me a lot of hope, and the final space on my own infertility board game would have to be hope. (was that a really awkward transition or attempt to bring it all together? sorry.)

i'm hopeful that one day i'll read this and laugh because i'm knee deep in the trials of motherhood. i'm hopeful that one day i won't have to fight back the tears and force the smile when someone announces a pregnancy or i hold a new baby or see a pregnant woman, hopeful that i can repay all the kind acts and words that have been extended to me, and hopeful that i will love my babies all the more for having felt so much pain at not being able to have them.

and for those of you who are also suffering, i hope the same things.

hang on to hope.





9 comments:

jess bahr said...

oh carly you seriously make me wanna cry. I can't imagine what you are going through but am so touched by your genuine kindness and well wishes to me. I can only imagine how hard it must be. I know someday you will be blessed with beautiful children and you will be the best mother ever. Thank you for always being so kind and supportive and for sharing your thoughts.

The Kropf Family said...

You would think people would get it eventually. I wish people would realize it goes both ways. You might not know how hard it is to have a baby but most of us don't know how hard it is not to have one. We love you and we think you are awesome.

Steph said...

Thank you for sharing Carly. I love your game spaces, that's 100% how I feel. And thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. :) Infertility is anything but easy, but it makes it a little more bearable when you know you're not alone in it. Love you.

Anonymous said...

This doesn't help, but I wanted to weigh in on one thing: Not being able to have a baby when you want one is a million times harder than having a baby. People might say "it's difficult in a different way." But it's not. It's more difficult. Period. You are a brave woman and are handling this trial with a lot more class and grace than most do. Go you.

J. said...

I am thinking of you often :)
I loved your board game analogy, and you're "hope" space.
*hugs*

Katie and Rob said...

I totally agree with what mostlyprobably said...the pain of not having a baby trumps any babd, long day as a mother!!!!! we had to wait longer than we wanted to get pregnant with our first child, and I can tell you that the heartache and yearning for a child is a feeling that is undescribable. One of the hardest things I have ever been through, and I didn't have to wait and suffer as long as many moms do! You are always so positive and kind, thanks for always reaching out to me and offering your well wishes, it means so much. The feelings you feel and your experiences are preparing you to be the best mom...you are going to savor and appreciate your role as a mother so much more when the time comes. Keep the hope! And thanks for sharing such personal thoughts, you are an inspiration to me!!!

Chris said...

I love you. And I so hope that I have never said anything to you that would make you feel bad when I complain about my crazy. I should know better and Im sorry if I have. Hope. Hope is amazing.

Lindsay said...

Carly I'm so sorry you are going through these trials, you are such a strong person and I admire you!! Praying for you and Mike that soon you will be able to have the beautiful blessing of a baby!! Hang in there!!!

Hollie said...

Hey Carly,
You may not remember me, but I am right there with you my friend. Fortunately we have had success twice. We are working on baby number three right now and it is a roller coaster! We just finished our second try at IUI and are now doing the "hurry up and wait thing." Hang in there, I know where you are.

Hollie