Thursday, October 9, 2008

Georgia on my mind

I made it back from my quick trip to Georgia. I had a good time even though I didn't get to do any sight seeing and I was all by my lonesome. Traveling alone is not fun. Georgia is beautiful and I'd love to go back when I can spend time playing in the city.

I had myself all nervous about the finding my way around the Atlanta airport. It's huge. I learned that it's almost 2 miles from the baggage check to the last terminal. They have these trains to get people around the airport-but I avoided them because I didn't want to end up lost.

I had some intersting cab drivers, one named Blaize who tried and tried to get me to go clubing and drinking with him. Another cab driver didn't speak an ounce of English and couldn't understand the address I gave him. It's nothing short of a miracle that he got me to the right hotel!

This is the building where my class was. It was such a different atmosphere from what I'm used to working in. Besides being 9 stories high, there was a security guard in the building, and in order to access any rooms on the floor where my class was held, you had to swipe a security card next to the door so that it would unlock.
I would love to live in another state at some point in my life, but I came home very grateful to live in Utah. I take for granted that I live in a state where many people share the same morals I do, and the people who have different morals are very respectful of the things I choose to do or not to do. It seemed like I was having to explain my beliefs to every person I met while I was there. The whole city revolves around partying and drinking, and people just couldn't understand that drinking was something I choose not to do.

All in all, I had a good little adventure and despite having myself nervous about it all, it went very well. I came home wishing I had a real Southern accent (it was so hard not to start talking with an accent. I had to contain myself.), and wanting to go back very soon. It's a beautiful area.

8 comments:

Annika said...

Oh It looks gorgeous there! That tall building looks amazing... but that's coming from someone who lives in Logan where the tallest building is the Business building on campus. I forget there's a world outside of Logan and Brigham that is very different! Glad you had fun!

Camilla said...

What a brave girl! I am so impressed that you could find your way around! I agree that southern accents are the coolest!

Chelsie said...

car it looks so gorgeous and green there. did no one else from any of the other offices go out there, you were all by yourself? i think when i go out of state i come back grateful for the utah clean air act...blah!

Ben and Camille said...

cute blog! glad to see you're doing SO great!!

Ashley said...

How cool! That is such a "grown up" thing to do. Maybe someday I'll grow up too :)

Jacki said...

Carly,
I'm glad you had an ok trip even though you had to go by yourself. It looks like a nice place to visit someday. I'm sure it was a fast trip as well as exhausting, but I'm glad you made it home safe and sound. :)

Brad and Darci said...

Congrats on making it through your trip:) I am glad that it was a good experience for you. I bet you were so excited to come home and se mike!

Trimbles said...

I LOVE Traveling. I LOVE the smell of airports because it means I get to go somewhere else. I LOVE living so close to John Wayne airport because every time I see a plane taking off I cant help but wish I was on it, regardless of where it is going. The only time I was in Georgia was on my way home from the mission. I guess I need to go back and see something more then the airport :)